Thursday, July 25, 2013

So Close, Yet So Far

This is not my first attempt to cast a definitive shape, but this one has a lot of hopes riding on it. Unfortunately, the hopes were dashed when I saw that the metal was not pouring correctly. Tonight I cast (or tried to) a ring in 60/40 solder. All was well, or so I thought. The metal melted according to plan. The model was cast into the plaster. The beeswax had melted out of the cavity... mostly. That was my downfall. The wax had not all melted out and about half of the ring model was left in the cavity. When the molten metal poured into the mold, the wax absorbed the energy of the solder to melt it and then it cooled too early. Attempts to remelt the metal in the spout resulted in over spill and melting the brass pour spout. I have learned and soon, very soon shall try again. I just need to remelt my wax shavings and carve another model. It will take a few days. I shall succeed...





The brass bit is the spout that is stuck and needs to be melted off. the surface finish is exactly as found except for some scratching from my knife cleaning off the plaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment