Wednesday, July 24, 2013

None Shall Pass

This was a fun four day project. I love woodworking. Whether I'm using power tools or hand tools, wood is a joy to work. I learned quite a bit about cutting and forming on this piece. I made some fits too loose so I had the shim them and other places were too tight and I had to fill the gaps. You can see my terrible filling and joining jobs at the hilt especially. The main piece, blade and tang, are pacific northwest cedar. The reinforcement, crossguard, and grips are white oak. The pommel is also cedar. Most of it was just glued together. The pommel, for reasons of the integrity and quality of the cedar, was pinned, form fitted very tightly, and then glued. It was finished in amber shellac and then coated in polyurethane.





No comments:

Post a Comment