Thursday, July 30, 2015

Closing Projects and Prongs

In my previous post, you saw my rough pendant that I'd been working on in silver. Recently I got a shipment of white sapphires from Thailand to finish up this project.




Before the jewels came, I also received a very nice silver box chain for the pendant. After some very careful setup to make sure if I dropped a gem it wouldn't bounce away to Never Neverland, I took one sapphire out of the bag and set it into the prongs. After much drilling, scraping, squeezing, bending, sanding, filing, and polishing it is done.


The gem seems to have been darkened. That's either because the prongs are too large or because there's some polish or dirt behind the stone that the ultrasonic bath didn't remove. For now, I'm happy with it and excited to do more with the sapphires.

No comments:

Post a Comment